Aug 16, 2009

Why Go On A Cruise? Reason Number 3

THE SIGHTS!
For us on this cruise it was Alaska.One cool thing about Alaska in the summer are the long days. This picture was taken at like 10:30 at night. It was still pretty light outside.Juneau was our first stop. We rode with Duane in a bus around the town. It was interesting to see all the sites - and much more. Mendenhall Glacier was cool, but the smoke from nearby fires made it hard to appreciate all its coolness.Juneau from the top of the tram.
My favorite sight was Hubbard Glacier.The boat pulled up parallel to the glacier with our side of the boat seeing it first. It was unbelievably incredible with the thunder sounds of the ice cracking and moving. For half an hour at least we watched the calving of the ice off the glacier. If in the future you go on a cruise that takes you to Hubbard Glacier, remember to bring gloves and hats. It was very cold.The many colors also added to the beauty of this huge chunk of ice. If I remember right it was 30 feet above the water and 60 feet below the water. Anyone who went feel free to correct me.


This is a video of the biggest calving show we were privileged to view. Please remember I am a teacher and not an employee of National Geographic. Another fun stop was Sitka. It became the shopping town (my treasured totem pole is the fourth person in this picture on the right). It also was a very special place for Sherry. Somewhere behind my mom and sisters is Ryan Reynold's home in the Proposal. At least we were quietly letting Sherry believe that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, fun and cool summer break. Nothing like late night feedings and cool sea breezes to round out the trip.DE

sherry said...

You mean you were lying to me the whole time!

Kelli said...

Great video of the glacier!! And to think, I could have had that on my camera too if I had actually pushed the record button while I held the camera up!

Lonna said...

I thought that I had it on my camera too. I was so dissapointed to find out that I had only 1 second. In all the excitement I guess I hit the button twice. That is why Rob is the photograper in our family.

Shannon said...

That video is amazing - and a little bit scary! I am looking forward to seeing your totem pole (Whitni told me all about it!)