Jun 21, 2009

Slipping Through My Fingers

Well she has graduated. Normally a summer job would have been in the works with some downtime. Whitni doesn't get that luxury. It's off to college. Saturday we left after the Saul Gallegos run and headed south to BYU.
Teary-eyed she said goodbye to friends and family. Other than finding a purse in the rest area at Vernita bridge and returning it to Benton City all went well with the trip. Dale drove to the bitter end (3:30 am, yes in the morning) to my parents' house. Whitni and I left a very sleepy Dale at 9:45 am to go to her church. It is always fun to go to a student ward when you are definitely not a student, but I noticed other parents there so I didn't embarrass Whitni too much.

One of my favorite buildings on the BYU campus is new, the Hinckley Building. It is quite impressive as you climb the hill from Provo up to the campus. The campus does bring great memories for me, but boy am I glad I am not starting over AGAIN.
We sneaked in contraband men helpers to haul all the apple boxes with Whitni's stuff into her dorm. They are nicer than I thought they would be with lots of storage.
Here is my little girl all ready to be grown up. I'm sure she is going to do well, it just sometimes feels like you are abandoning them. It's probably going to help me more than her to stay the week with my family. I'll be able to adjust to life without her smile, willing heart and encouraging words. Telephoning, texting and facebooking will be my friends.

9 comments:

Nick said...

Woo-hoo! Attah kid, Whit! Go Cougs!

Anonymous said...

Our baby off to college...who called the first night to say she had no shampoo or conditioner, lucky someone is staying at her gma and gpa's...PA

Jenni said...

Way to go Rae. I can't believe it. Did you make the quilt, it is gorgeous.

Grammy Rae said...

It is my second quilt, made for Christmas. First pattern didn't work (or the novice quilter did something wrong) so made it up from there.

Kelli said...

Good luck to Whitni, and good luck to RaeAnne! That brings back memories of heading of to college myself, what an exciting time!!

sherry said...

Hey whit you always have a mom in Sandy! Call anytime:)

Anonymous said...

you made me cry in the middle of the library.... i love you mom. and thank you mom, dad, nick and kc for all your help. i know i can be a pain...
-whitni

Shannon said...

Congratulations, Whitni - on everything! Thanks for making time in your busy college life to eat lunch with us. :)

Jillian said...

I can't believe she's old enough to go off to college!! Too crazy! Good luck to both of you!