Jan 27, 2010

Date Day

Dale and I came home from Utah and in the mail I saw an advertisement for tickets to the Figure Skating National Championships.  I mentioned that watching figure skating would be fun.  Dale took the card and got us tickets for the finals in ice dancing and women's.

They were held in Spokane so the trip was doable.  I enjoyed having some time with him, since he seems to enjoy driving south more than anything lately.



I have never been to an event that had to treat the ice in the middle of the program.  I really enjoyed watching the tuxedoed drivers of the Zamboni drive around in perfect harmony making the ice all smooth and shiny.

This couple was amazing.  They did end up winning, which wasn't surprising.  They were so much fun to watch.  It didn't hurt that they skated to Phantom of the Opera.  I'd vote for them for that, choosing music that got the crowd going for them.

They held the awards ceremony on the ice below us, problem was they were facing the other way.  We could have watched on the big screen, but that was behind us.  Luckily they did grace us with a quick look.  I was fast with the button.


For the ladies finals we were in the upper section but right over the newscasters and skaters.  It was interesting to watch them.  Bob Costas looked quite bored the whole time except for this brief interview with Dick Button.

It was also exciting to watch the skaters come down below and wait for their scores.  The three on the screen are sitting watching that TV.

 The fan favorite was Sasha Cohen in her bid to get back to the Olympics.  Unfortunately, it was quite lackluster.    The leader going into it was my favorite to watch.  She seemed to float on the ice.  I certainly don't understand how they score because she ended up second.  Apparently Scott Hamilton thought like I did and thought the girl had won, instead of Rachel Flatt.

All in all it was a great day.  We did sit from 10:30 am to 8 pm.  That was just way too long for my hiney.  I would definitely love to go again.  I'm not sure about Dale, though.  He left to go to the bathroom, and like the obedient wife I am I stood waiting for him.  And waiting.  And waiting.  When finally getting to talk to him on the phone he said he was at the pickup.  He thought I had gone out to the pickup.  Why would I have gone out in the cold to a pickup where I didn't have a key when he left me with the impression he would be right back?  Oh well, we enjoyed the time together.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

What a fun day! You got some great pics. Isn't it funny how just driving in the car can be an adventure when you like the person your with - and you don't get to spend enough time with him? :)

Marianne & Clayton said...

Seriously great pics! And what a fun date! Dale is the coolest for taking you. I can't get Clayton to leave skating on the tv for more than a casual pass. You, of course, are even cooler.

The Ascanios said...

Looks like fun mom!

Whitni said...

It looks like it was a ton of fun mom! Your pictures turned out really well!

Kelli said...

That sounds like lots of fun! I have never been to a live figure skating event, I think that would be a blast!

sherry said...

I wish I was with you. I don't even take that long in the bathroom. haha....looks like fun.

grandmaarlene said...

I remember taking you to the Ice Follies in Salt Lake, and we had front row seats. You cried through the first half, then you sat and watched the rest. The skaters smiled at you as they passed. O course you were only about 3 months old. Fun memories. Sounds like you had a fun time at the finals.