Aug 29, 2010

Summer Memories

Sigh.  School starts for me on Monday.  Part of me is excited to get back to work and see the mostly eager faces, but another part of me still wants to be vacationing and relaxing.  I decided I would write down my top ten favorite moments of the summer, (in no particular order) so when I'm overwhelmed I can come back here and revisit my great relaxing summer.
Favorite Moment #10:  Singing the alphabet song with my friend Carter.  We were in a souvenir store at the Polynesian Cultural Center.  There was a nice soft couch in one corner with instruments for sale.  Carter handed Tiffany a ukelele, I had a drum and Carter grabbed a different color of ukelele.  I think we asked him what song we were going to sing, and he said very matter-of-factly - The ABC song.  So, with our great store instruments and extremely brilliant singing we performed the ABC song, complete with "won't you come and sing with me" twice.
Favorite Moment #9:  Sitting at Kimo's on our last night in Maui.  The sun is setting, the workers at the restaurant are taking down the window on the ocean side to give us an unobstructed view.  We are eating with Brian, Mo and Desmond.  The meal is the best I've had all summer: teriyaki chicken, filet mignon and fresh steam veggies - all with teriyaki.  Tender, juicy with a Hawaiian sunset for atmosphere.
Favorite Moment #8:  Toy Story 3, with family in Utah.  I enjoyed being with KC, Mom, Dad, Sherry, Ashley, TJ and friends.  Movies are always fun to watch with KC.  We can laugh loud and cry hard, and I did a lot of both.

Favorite Moment #7:  Having a great book series to take up a lot of the summer.  Legend of the Guardian King.  It was with me through a lot of the summer and by the end I wanted to read it again.

Favorite Moment #6:  Shopping with my daughters in Florida.  I needed something to wear in the water in Hawaii.  They gladly took me from store to store boosting my morale and helping me to find many outfits that would work.  What normally is a frustrating disheartening experience became a great moment of mom compassion.  Thank you girls!

Favorite Moment #5:  Learning to read the price tag before committing to a purchase.  About 33 years ago when I was in Hawaii with the family I got a pearl from an oyster and had it made into a ring.  I've never been able to wear the ring because I was allergic to the silver setting.  When we went this summer I wanted to get another ring with a gold setting that I would not be allergic to.  I got a nice pink pearl and found a setting that I liked.  We went shopping in other stores while they attached the pearl to the setting.  Upon returning and they gave Dale the price I was quite shocked.  I now have to take very good care of my ring.  I'm just glad I didn't like the $800 setting I saw on the way out.  I do love the ring, but I did learn to check things out before committing.  Can I just say how grateful I am that Dale is patient with me!  Hawaii was great with him around.

Favorite Moment #4:  Chauffeuring Mom and Dad while visiting in June.  Through the years they have done so much for me and our family that I liked the feeling of being able to give back.  It was a great relaxing two weeks with them that I'm hoping becomes an annual event.

Favorite Moment #3:  Visiting Harry Potter world.  I love Harry Potter.  I like saying it in my awful English accent.  I love the books, especially Deathly Hallows.  I love the movies (coming November 18!!).  I loved being able to visit a place dedicated to the fun of Harry Potter.  I know I've already complained about the heat and the abundance of people, but being with Lindsea and Travis made it all worthwhile, and of course
 Whitni and Marissa.

Favorite Moment #2:  Having the time to go visit and play with grandkids.  I enjoyed feeling free to go help Aaron and DeAndra by watching the boys.  There's nothing I'd rather do than see their fun faces and enjoy their great personalities.


Favorite Moment #1:  Having half my kids home for the summer.  On my way into the church this morning after saying goodbye to Marissa and Whitni I felt very lonesome for my kids.  Despite all I say or do or not do I love having my kids and grandkids around.  I will miss the flopping on the bed late at night just to visit, watching Nick coo and cuddle with Ryker, and listening to stories of work or cute guys at concerts.  It all gets sorely missed in the quietness of home.

This is not a conclusive list. There are so many great things that made this summer memorable.
Goodbye summer, hello fifth graders.

8 comments:

Aaron said...

Summer is over already? That can't be right!

Grappy Dale said...

I see how it is, all about your travels and trips. While the quiet is nice, do miss those trouble makers/helpers.

sherry said...

Oh just wait until next summer!!!! We should plan a girls trip for all of us. Have a great school year. Love you.

grandmaarlene said...

We sure want to thank you for all you did for us while you were here. Now we are looking forward to this weekend. See you then.

grandmaarlene said...

We sure want to thank you for all you did for us while you were here. Now we are looking forward to this weekend. See you then.

Jenni said...

You made me miss your summer as well, you do know how to do it right. I am with Sherry, we do need a sisters/girls trip. Maybe SanDiego?? or some nice place in Arizona??

Shannon said...

I think I want to spend next summer trailing along with you!
And I will have to remember to get the names of the books in that series from you. Do you own them, or did you get them from the library? Now that I will be stuck in a house with only men during football season, I am going to need something good to read while I curl up on the couch with them!

Kelli said...

What an awesome summer! I am so glad that I got to see you this summer too. Good luck with those fifth graders!