Aug 6, 2010

Cross Country - Oahu, Pearl Harbor


This is my journal of events so proceed at your own discretion.
We spent about three days in Oahu staying with our niece and her family.  Great accommodations!  I know she would love more visitors, maybe wait awhile though because they are adding a new one to the family very soon.  

The picture above is of the USS Missouri.  Dale and I spent a morning at Pearl Harbor.  We first did a visit of this ship.  It was impressive.  We had a tour guide with such a strong accent I had a hard time understanding him but what I did get was interesting.
We  were able to go below and see where the sailors slept, ate, mailed letters and worked.  It is definitely not something I would have been able to endure.  
This ship was used in Desert Storm in the early 90's.  The number of times these gun turrets were fired was painted near them.  They were fired over 200 times, and they are huge.
As we were on the starboard side of the Missouri the aircraft carrier USS Reagan was being towed out to sea.  It had been docked and was now leaving.  This was fascinating.  Right in front of us they turned the carrier around so its bow would be facing out to sea. It is a huge ship with so many jets on the deck.  I'm still amazed they can take off on that short runway.
Just so you know we were there.
I worked with my camera and blew up a picture of the people on board the Reagan.  They were taking pictures of us, or maybe the ship we were on.
This document was signed on the Missouri at the end of WWII.  Aboard the battleship USS Missouri, the Japanese signed the formal surrender document, watched by thousands of Allied representatives and the crew.  I have blown up the signature of General MacArthur, below it is Cmdr. Nimitz, the US reperesentative.  (If I have any of this wrong let me know, I'll be glad to correct myself)

Here is the original control tower.  It has been used in many movies, including Pearl Harbor.  Hey girls, let's watch it when I get back!
I was real excited to revisit the Arizona memorial.  I remember when I went with mom and dad and family well over 30 years ago.  I was quite moved by the whole experience and knowing we were standing over a ship where so many were trapped and died.  
Unfortunately for me, by the time we got out to the memorial my batteries died so this is all I was able to capture. It just means another visit here.  If you ever get to Oahu, this is a must.  

7 comments:

Marissa said...

Of course we can watch Pearl Harbor! I could watch Ben Affleck and Josh Harnett any day. I'm glad you're having fun, are you missing me enough to send me out there? :D

Whitni said...

So, that "other visit".... Like next summer WITH your children?
Looks like fun!

Grappy Dale said...

This was so much fun, makes me feel like I was there!!!

sherry said...

Have fun in Hawaii. You are a world traveler. Are you ever going back home?

grandmaarlene said...

Hope your camera is now charged. I'm enjoying the pictures of your vacations.

Lindsea said...

yeah, I'm with Whit and Rissa... Just waiting for the phone call saying we all are flying to Hawaii to see you :D

Shannon said...

Great photos! My grandpa was standing on the USS Missouri when that document was signed. You are having the BEST summer!