Apr 3, 2009

A Not So Fun End To a Great Vacation

A Day in Chicago
Many highlights to our trip:

Seeing my sister, Kelli and her family. We were able to enjoy her kids and her hospitality. Always a highlight when traveling to Chicago.

Highlight: Enjoying the sights and sounds of Michigan Ave. It was especially fun watching the girls' antics at the Hancock Observatory.

Highlight: All who read my blog can figure this one out. I enjoyed my time with the little guy. I can't seem to get enough of this ever changing little man along with his mommy and daddy.

Downside: It was about the time of lunch at the Cheesecake Factory that I started not to feel so good. It was an easy drive out of Chicago (always a dreaded experience for me, ask anyone who's been there with me) but things didn't go as well as I turned to get into the hotel we would be staying in.

Highlight: I've got great daughters. Marissa and Whitni are going to be going to school to be nurses. I have no doubts of their capabilities in this. Their sensitivity and great caring were wonderful.
Downside: Okay, what would you do when sleeping at a hotel and the fire alarm goes off? I'm feeling horrible and now need to evacuate from the fifth floor. As we waited in the hall I saw some others poke their head out but then go back to their rooms. I did the same. But when the alarm went off again at 3:30 in the morning, it didn't go off as quickly. We eventually evacuated down five floors in the cold night. Fire trucks and fire fighters were all over. I never did find out what the problem was but it was a night with no sleep with the knowledge of having to fly all day with no sleep and a queasy stomach. Dramamine was my answer. Poor Whitni had to drag me off the plane in Seattle where I found a bench to continue sleeping.

6 comments:

Beckie said...

Sorry your trip didn't end as well as it started! I am glad you got to go spend some time with Rock. How nice it will be once they are closer!! Then Aaron and DeAndra can come visit Rock whenever they get a chance :)

sherry said...

Oh do I remember you driving in Chicago on our trip. How many times did you get mad at Garmen Nuvi? I am glad you had fun and I wish Nate was still there. You probably would have saw him at the Hancock Bldg. He was there a lot. Glad you had fun and memorable experience.

The Ascanios said...

Haha Sherry, I wanted to "accidentally" run into Nate! And she was so mad at Garmin that trip when she kept saying, "Recalculating..." lol And my mom left out some pretty sweet parts of this story...

Kelli said...

I'm sorry your trip ended so bad!! I sure enjoyed having you all here, it made my whole month. There is nothing like visiting with RaeAnne! Thanks for coming our way!

Lois Cook Berrett said...

Sorry about your hectic night of fire alarms. What a pain! I'll bet you would do it all again though to get to be with your family. Glad your home safe now.

Shannon said...

I will add my sorry to your sad ending, but glad that there were some joys, too. And I love your new banner! Very cool family picture.